5 Things: School Security Changes, School Committee Meets and People Take Flight
A few things to keep in mind on Dec. 17, 2012, in Wayland.
1. School Security Updates. In the wake of the Newtown shootings, Weston Public Schools are implementing some additional security measures beginning today, including locking doors during particular times. Check out the full description of the changes.
2. School Committee Meets. The Weston School Committee will convene tonight at 7 p.m. at the Case House. The agenda is available here.
3. FY2013 Tax Rate. The Department of Revenue late last week certified Weston's FY13 tax rate, both residential and commercial, at $12.40. That's up from the FY12 rate of $12.11. The first deposit will be due Feb. 1.
4. Plan Ahead for Winter Break. The Weston Library has a variety of museum passes available for checkout. The quantities are limited for each day, however, so take a look at the list and reserve the passes online for a trip to a nearby museum during the upcoming winter break.
5. Taking Flight. Just a week before what is now a major day for airports throughout the U.S., we can celebrate the anniversary of the first ever flight. On Dec. 17, 1903, Wilbur and Orville Wright took the first successful flight of "a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft." According to History.com , that first flight lasted for 12 seconds and covered 120 feet. We've come a long way since then ...