Fire Station Evacuated After Sliding Snow, Ice Breaks Gas Meter
Weston Fire Station #2 was evacuated at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
A perfectly placed pile of snow and ice slid off the roof of a Weston Fire Station Tuesday night, crashing onto a gas meter and causing a gas leak.
Weston Fire Station #2 at 390 South Ave., was evacuated at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday after firefighters inside heard the rumble of sliding snow and ice, the crash of it falling from the roof and then the obvious sounds of leaking gas.
Fire Capt. Stephen Carter said no one was injured and the gas company responded quickly to the situation.
In all, firefighters were evacuated from the firehouse for about an hour, Carter estimated, and the gas company remained on the scene conducting repairs as of 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Carter acknowledged that the events were a bit unusual.
"It's something that usually doesn't happen," Carter said. "[The snow and ice] all slid at once, and it was enough weight to break [the meter]."
The gas was leaking outside the station, but gas readings were conducted inside to ensure it was safe before everyone returned to the building.