Superintendent: Weston Schools Locking Additional Doors, Upping Police Presence
Weston Public Schools Superintendent Cheryl Maloney reached out to parents before school on Monday with further reaction to the Newtown shootings.
Superintendent Cheryl Maloney circulated the message below via the Weston listserv.
Dear Weston Families,
As we open our schools for the week following the tragedy in Newtown, we want to reassure you and your children that safety is paramount and we are taking every precaution. Principals, other central office administrators and I met for several hours with Police Chief Shaw, Sergeant Kelly and Officer Connerton, to review existing school security plans. As an immediate response to the events of last Friday, we have made two modifications: First the police will have a more visible presence on and about our campuses this week, including the concerts. Secondly, in addition to side and back doors, school front doors will also be locked for the majority of the day. Parents are therefore asked to be patient and understanding with any inconveniences that will occur as a result. In January we will be holding discussions on long term changes in security protocols, but in the interim these changes are prudent.
Below are general guidelines for each school, should you have any questions please contact your building principal:
Elementary: Country, Woodland & Field Schools:
- All doors locked, except for the front door during hours listed below:
- At Country and Woodland: front doors open from 7:45 a.m.-9 a.m. & again from 2 p.m.-3 p.m. during student pick-up.
- At Field School: access will be through the front door, which will be open from 7:45 a.m.-8:20 a.m. and again at dismissal.
- Adults entering the buildings to pick up children will now be requested to remain in the lobby. Adults entering the building for a planned event will be asked per usual to sign in, and will be released to visit after checking in with office staff.
- PRESCHOOL parents will be greeted in the lobby and teachers will escort children to the classroom.
- A phone number to call the main office will be posted on the front door for admittance.
- As a reminder, no children are to be dropped off early.
- The CCW after school care will also be developing a new pick up protocol at each building.
- All doors will be locked, with the exception of the front door, which will be open for bus arrival from 7 a.m.-8 a.m. and again at dismissal.
- Adults requesting entrance beyond those hours will contact the main office personnel.
- The usual protocol will be followed for sign in and visitor passes.
- All doors except the main entrance will be locked. There will be increased administrative presence in the main lobby throughout the day.
- All visitors will be asked to sign in and wear a visitor’s badge.
Equally important tomorrow is addressing the questions and concerns of our students regarding this tragedy. Teachers will be prepared to discuss the shootings in age appropriate manner should those questions arise. Teachers and counselors will also be monitoring students for additional support as necessary. Should you have any concerns about your child, please contact your school’s guidance counselor.
Thank you for your support,
Dr. Cheryl Maloney
Superintendent of Schools, Weston
P.S. A phone message on this topic was send out to primary household numbers at 5:09 p.m.