The following information was provided by the Town of Weston:
Memorial Day: May 28, Program of Events
- 9:15 a.m. – Ringing of Paul Revere Bell at in Weston by Weston Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
- 9:30 a.m. – Assembly of participants inside Horace Scudder Sears Auditorium in
- 10:00 a.m. – Memorial Day Service
Memorial Day Service
- PRESENTING OF COLORS - Honor Guard, Weston Fire and Police Departments
- GREETINGS - Beverly Mason Dillaway, Memorial Day Committee
- INVOCATION - The Reverend Dr. Philip Joseph Mayher, Pastor and Teacher,
The Congregational Church of Weston, UCC
- MUSICAL SELECTION - “God Bless America” played by the Weston High School Marching Band
- WELCOMING REMARKS & INTRODUCTION of GUEST SPEAKER – Robert W. Carlson, 1st Lieutenant, U.S. Army 9th Infantry Division, Vietnam 1967-1968
- GUEST SPEAKER - Lt. Col. Timothy F. Haley, MD, U.S. Army: “Memorial Day through the eyes of a combat physician”
- MUSICAL SELECTION - “America the Beautiful“ sung by Crystal Evans, Weston High School Class of 2012
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- A MUSICAL SALUTE - “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” played by the Weston H.S. Marching Band
- BENEDICTION – Deacon Guy St. Sauveur (USAF-ret), St. Julia Parish, Weston
- ANNOUNCEMENTS – Beverly Dillaway and Dick DeVito, Weston/Wayland Rotary Club veterans project
Wreath Laying, outdoors, Town Hall War Memorial
- Our National Anthem – “The Star-Spangled Banner” played by the Weston High School Marching Band
- Wreath Laying – Weston Veterans with Boy Scout and Girl Scout Reps
- Taps played by Sam Cekala and Clark Eglinton, Weston High School Marching Band
Order of March:
- Weston Police Department Honor Guard Weston Girl Scouts: Daisies, Brownies, Juniors,
- Weston Fire Department Honor Guard Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors
- Parade Automobiles with Weston Veterans Weston Cub and Boy Scouts
- Weston High School Marching Band Weston Soccer and Softball Clubs, Baseball League
- Childrens’ carts, floats and decorated bicycles
The parade will stop at the Fiske Memorial, Old Farmer’s Central Cemetery and Linwood Cemetery where memorial wreaths will be laid by Weston veterans and representatives of Weston Scout troops.
Please be respectful & quiet when Sam Cekala and Clark Eglinton of the Weston H.S. Marching Band sound “Taps.”
We also thank the Honor Guard participation by officers of the Weston Fire Department, Chief David Soar, and the Weston Police Department, Chief Steven Shaw - led by Sergeant Thomas Kelly.
We are most grateful to the Marching Band under the direction of Christopher Memoli, and Drum Major Edom Wessenyeleh for providing our wonderful musical salute and accompaniment.
We give our special thanks to Lisbeth Zeytoonjian, Assistant to the Town Manager, for her program assistance and planning help as well as to our Town Hall Custodian Dave Mosman.
Additional thanks to Gloria Cole, Executive Director of Weston Media Center, Inc. for providing videotaping of today’s ceremony and to Leiby’s Garden Shop for designing the town memorial laurel wreaths.
We are so appreciative of veteran outreach efforts by Stanley W. Spear, Jr., of the West Suburban Veterans' Services District (serving Weston, Wellesley & Needham - www.westsuburbanveterans.com).
Rides are available for veterans who do not wish to march during our Memorial Day parade courtesy of antique cars generously provided by Richard A. DeVito, Sr. and Richard A. DeVito, Jr. Through a community service project sponsored by the Rotary Club of Weston and Wayland, they are also trying to help over 1,500 returning veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan to find jobs.
2012 Memorial Day Committee
- Donald F. Bumpus
- Robert W. Carlson
- Beverly Mason Dillaway
- Jane Shay